[SOLVED] Restricting access to a selection of users without root access? Impossible?

GingerRobot

Long story short, i'm pretty sure the only way to restrict access to a folder to a bunch of users would be to add them to a group and set the group of the folder, which requires root access. Is this correct?

Full explanation, i'm just starting a group project at university and it was my intention to set up a Subversion repository on my university's server. Given that there is another group doing a similar project, I'd like to make sure that they couldn't get desperate and copy the entire repository over and view/steal our files. However, i don't have root access(obviously!) so I cannot create a group for the members of our team. Do I have any options?

i think you can password protect the folders, but yes you need to be root, create a group then change a bunch of users groups to this group then give that folder that group, then create a test account with another group and test it out. Give read write execute to group and nothing to everyone else on that folder. I think someone will come and give you a much better expl in a bit .

Yes, you should organise the users into groups and then set the permissions suitably as 750 or similar. Users would have to be manually assigned to a particular group when they are first setup (unless you have ldap details etc.).

Look into the sudo command. Users can be granted fine grained access to certain commands.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.