Images randomly not showing up

phpknight

Has anybody ever had an issue with images in IE and Firefox just not showing up sometimes--especially tiny ones?  I have that issue a lot.  I've found that putting image width and height helps a lot of the time but does not completely eliminate the problem.

For instance, there is a matrix of about 12-20 buttons to choose from.  Every once in a while, only a few show up, but when you click one and javascript/AJAX engages, then usually the rest follow.  However, all the images are in the source code from the beginning.

Has anybody had anything like this happen? If so, how did you resolve it? 

Perhaps you are creating too many HTTP requests making it possible that some timeout.  Have you thought about making those images into a sprite?

Read this article, top section especially: http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html

Additionally, you could use Firebug (Firefox plugin) to look at the requests as they come in and see why certain elements did not load.

I don't think sprites would work.  Also, I'm on a big web server for a site that isn't too big, so I am guessing it is not timeouts.  Plus, a lot of the time, they are already cached.

Plus, once you click on one button, then all 20 show up, but for some reason, more in IE than Firefox, not all of them show right away.

---

Okay, I downloaded firebug.  Give me a tip on where to go to check this.  So far, it just looks like the DOM inspector.

Well, the Firebug suggestion was a reference to "not loading" assuming it was failing at the HTTP request.  However, now that you've explained further, it could be any number of things.  You'll have to diagnose further to see what conditions make the problem show up...  If it's random like you say, it may be due to any number of things.

For reference, I had this problem using Google Chrome versus Firefox 3.5.x.... Chrome was the faster browser, but would not load all images EVERY time, even ones it had previously loaded.  I do not know why it did this.  Additionally, I have the same problem on my iPhone using its Safari browser.  Occasionally, I would come to a page where not all images would load; I assumed this was memory related, but was never certain.

I don't know if any of this information helps you, but there's not much we can help you with if it's hard to determine the steps to reproduce it every time.  (it could be related to your pc dealing with other processes at the time, etc).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.