opening a window with after form submission

svgmx5

I know this this forum has nothing to do with JS, but i'm trying to use it with my php script.

What i'm trying to do, and i'm not 100& sure i'm doing right, is after someone has submitted the form, i want a pop window to appear with text telling them that the for was submitted and what not.

I know that i can use

open('file.php', 'window_name', 'width = 50, height = 50');

but what i'm not sure is how to use it.

i tried using this

//if everyting is good, then send the email and reply email
$send = mail($to, $subject, $body, $from);
$reply = mail($to2, $subject2, $body2, $from2);

if($send){

'open("success.html", "success", "width = 261, height = 200")';

}

but when i process the form, it goes but no window opens

Like is said i hope i can get help in here in this forum.

$send = mail($to, $subject, $body, $from);
   $reply = mail($to2, $subject2, $body2, $from2);

if($send){

print  'open("success.html", "success", "width = 261, height = 200")';

}

You need to print the javascript.

okay i tried it again, and

echo '<script type="text/javascript">window.open("success.html", "success", "width = 261, height = 200");</script>';

did work, although it only seemed to work in firefox....IE won't open it, even after i allowed pop ups to be opened...and google nothing shows...

can any one think of a better way to do this?

just tested in IE8 and Chrome .. works fine in both.  however, you must allow for pop-ups.

this is a fundamental error trying to have a pop-up window executed with modern browsers disallowing them by default.

consider another method .. perhaps a lightbox (jQuery ThickBox) if you must pop something up.

i tried it too and it did work.

And in response to Daniel0 what i only want is a new window to pop up displaying a message saying, hey you submitted the form successfully, if the user successfully submitted the form. Only then should the window open.

The script i have right now validates, several fields, and if a user does not input the correct email it will just give an error on the page, and not open a window.

And in response to Daniel0 what i only want is a new window to pop up displaying a message saying, hey you submitted the form successfully, if the user successfully submitted the form. Only then should the window open.

In that case it seems more feasible just printing a message to the screen saying that.

you are right, that was my first approach to just show the a message after the form was submitted. however, i needed the message to show only and not the form. I had issues with it, and couldn't get it to work. If you can and want you can view the thread that i posted the other day here, i haven't gotten the issue fix that, which is why i tried this method.

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,275694.new.html

you can read the what my problem was and maybe you can help me with that issue

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.