I have a file which I open through

$handle = fopen("details/horselistfile.txt", "a+");

fwrite($handle, "\n$horsearray\n");

fclose($handle);

I want to add to the start of the file by changing to

$handle = fopen("details/horselistfile.txt", "r+");

fwrite($handle, "\n$horsearray\n");

fclose($handle);

But it just pastes over the last entry that I had.

How do you prepend a file

There is no built-in way to prepend something to a file. You have to open your file, read the contents into a variable or array, concat your new stuff to the front of the var/array,and then write the whole thing back to the file.  That's not really all that convenient if your file is large.  If your file is large I suggest you look into using a database instead.

edit:

I suppose if it's a large file and a db isn't an option, you can write your new info to a temp file and then read your existing file 1 line at a time, appending the info to the temp file 1 line at a time, and then rename your temp file to the existing file.

Do you have a script that would prepend a line to a file. The file contains a few lines each on a separate line

See:

You can just do:

file_put_contents('details/horselistfile.txt', $horsearray . file_get_contents('details/horselistfile.txt'));

file_get_contents() and file_put_contents() do the same thing as fopen(), fread()/fwrite and fclose(), they just make things easier for you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.