Pretty early but..

Alex

This website is pretty early in development, but I figured I'd post anyway. Just looking for tips and such, mostly in terms of the design as the actual functionality is quite premature.

http://www.imagechat.org/

Note: If you can't connect to the socket server it's because I'm running it locally atm and it might be down at times until I move it to a permanent location. But it doesn't matter much in this case anyway because I'm just asking for advise on the UI.

This website is pretty early in development, but I figured I'd post anyway. Just looking for tips and such, mostly in terms of the design as the actual functionality is quite premature.

http://www.imagechat.org/

Note: If you can't connect to the socket server it's because I'm running it locally atm and it might be down at times until I move it to a permanent location. But it doesn't matter much in this case anyway because I'm just asking for advise on the UI.

Looks nice.  One thing - can you make the pane that displays the smileys a bit shorter?  It's just tall enough to create a scroll bar at my resolution, which shifts the entire chat frame to the left a bit when clicked.  It's not a huge problem, but noticeable and slightly jarring.

Yea, I noticed that myself. I was considering making all the tabs the same length to avoid the snapping when adding or removing the scrollbar, but I thought that might not look so great because there would be empty space on tabs will less content. Another idea was to adjust the entire layout's position based on if the scrollbar is present or not with some js to avoid the snapping, but that too seems a bit unnecessary. I'll shorten the smiley display area to show just 2 rows at a time and that should fix this problem on most resolutions, and decide on how to completely address the issue a bit later.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.