[SOLVED] Syntax error

abitlikehomer

Hi all

First post here so go easy on me. Currently doing some coding to ensure that when a user posts a new story that is added to the database the link that is added auto increments. I've got this working but there appears to be a syntax error and I don't know how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.  :)

Here's my code:

<?php
include "connection.php"
?>
<?php 

// (2) gather all details from form
$newTitle= $_POST['txtTitle'];
$newDay = substr($_POST['txtDate'],0,2);
$newMonth = substr($_POST['txtDate'],3,2);
$newYear = substr($_POST['txtDate'],6,4);
$newContent = $_POST['txtContent'];
$newLink = "<a href=http://www.2asmooth.com/Kingfisher_Trust/showNews.php?"."NewsID=0>Link</a>";

// (3) Create an INSERT query of the form  
$query = "INSERT INTO News (Title, Date, Content, Link) VALUES ('$newTitle', '$newYear''$newMonth''$newDay', '$newContent', '$newLink')"; 

// (4) Run query through connection
$result1 = mysql_query($query) or die ("Error in query: $query. ".mysql_error()); 

// (6) Create an UPDATE query of the form to include the new link 
$query2 = "UPDATE News SET Link = <a href=http://www.2asmooth.com/Kingfisher_Trust/showNews.php?NewsID=".mysql_insert_id($connection).">Link</a> WHERE Title =".$newTitle." AND Content =".$newContent; 

// (4) Run the query on the customer table through the connection
$result2 = mysql_query($query2) or die ("Error in query: $query2. ".mysql_error()); 

//  print message with ID of inserted record    
header("Location: newsReceipt.php?"."NewsID=". mysql_insert_id($connection));   

// (5) close connection 
    mysql_close($connection);     
?>

And this is the error message I am getting:

Error in query: UPDATE News SET Link = Link WHERE Title =Adding new link to db AND Content =

To check and see if the link will work with the RSS and see if it correctly adds to the database.

. You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'Link ' at line 1

Oh by the way I am using Server version: 5.0.51 and MySQL client version: 5.0.32.

Thanks guys :D

You have to put quotes around strings in your query.

Hi Mchl

I've tried that but when I put double quotes "" around it then it doesn't work because of the http:// - the two forward slashes make the rest of the code think that it has been commented out.

Hope this makes sense and thanks for your help so far. :)

have you figured this out yet? i see some things in your code that i think you should change, but if you've gotten it working then i dont want to confuse you.

Not as yet I haven't. Any help would be appreciated please.

Thanks

Simplified:

$yourlink = "<a href=http://www.2asmooth.com/Kingfisher_Trust/showNews.php?NewsID=".mysql_insert_id($connection).">Link</a>";

$query2 = "UPDATE News SET Link ='$yourlink' WHERE Title ='$newTitle' AND Content ='$newContent'"; 

have you figured this out yet? i see some things in your code that i think you should change, but if you've gotten it working then i dont want to confuse you.

Not as yet I haven't. Any help would be appreciated please.

Thanks

Simplified:

$yourlink = "<a href=http://www.2asmooth.com/Kingfisher_Trust/showNews.php?NewsID=".mysql_insert_id($connection).">Link</a>";

$query2 = "UPDATE News SET Link ='$yourlink' WHERE Title ='$newTitle' AND Content ='$newContent'"; 

Thanks - that's made it partly work now but for some reason it stops incrementing now and always goes to the

<a href=http://www.2asmooth.com/Kingfisher_Trust/showNews.php?"."NewsID=0>Link</a>
link no matter. It's like it doesn't even bother doing the second query to update the table.

Sorry to be a pain guys but do you know why this is?

In my database I have five fields: NewsID, Title, Date, Content and Link.

The NewsID is an autoincrement and what I am trying to do is; everytime a user saves a new article it saves it to the database and also autoincrements the Link field so that there is a unique web link to each news story. Hope that makes sense.

Obviously I am doing something wrong. Thanks for your help so far though, its really appreciated.

OK got most of it working now. Only problem is although it is updating the link and that is working - because it is using the

mysql_insert_id($connection)

to redirect the header it won't work because it has already been used before for the link .Is there anyway I can get that to work. Will that command allow you to put it in a variable?

OK got most of it working now. Only problem is although it is updating the link and that is working - because it is using the

to redirect the header it won't work because it has already been used before for the link .Is there anyway I can get that to work. Will that command allow you to put it in a variable?

It works now. I needed to put the

into a variable and I just called that twice.

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR HELP :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.