Multiple queries, one db connection

Jonob

Hi all,

Just wanted a quick sanity check here, as I am not sure that I have this right.

Assume that I have a single class in a single php file, with multiple functions in the class. Lets say that one of these functions get executed, and it in turn calls a few other functions in the same class, and maybe a few functions in some other classes (files) too. Each function runs one or more queries against a mysql database.

Am I correct in thinking that I could just create a single database connection in the first class, and this will be used for all queries that get executed in the current scope? i.e. do something like a class constructor:

function __construct() {
  $connection = new db_connection();
  $connection->connect();
}

OK, so assuming that this is right, and that I have this constructor in all my classes, and I call Class B from Class A, then it will still connects twice, right? Or, is there a way to specify in the mysql connection function, that if the connection is active, then dont open it again.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.