Searching by characters

Alicia

Hi,

Can some gurus give me an idea how I can accomplish the following with a mysql query in php?

I have a column with `numbers` (5 int)

when the user submit numbers maybe 3 digits, the query will check the database for the numbers columns above and return number of records found (permutation allowed)

e.g :

User submitted 251

The query should count 1 for each of the following :

and etc... as long as the record has 2, 5, and 1 digit or any integer submitted by users, it should count as one.

Can somebody please advise how can I do such character search with php mysql?

Thank you.

Here's an example:

$input = '251';
$sql = "SELECT COUNT(id) FROM table WHERE column LIKE '%" . implode("%' OR '%", str_split($input)) . "%'";

I misunderstood what you were asking. Instead try something like:

$input = '251';
$sql = "SELECT COUNT(id) FROM table WHERE column LIKE '%" . implode("%' AND '%", str_split($input)) . "%'";

Now I use the query with OR and it shows the count as long as 1 digit matches the whole number but that is not what want. We need it to count as 1 only if all digits submitted is in the number. I tried the other AND query you proposed and it returns 0 even the number is there.

e.g :

submit number : 123

the value fetch from a column 0001 is counted as one in the 'OR query' you proposed since there is 1 in the number. But we dont want this to be counted in since the integer 2 and 3 are not in the number 0001 fetched.

Please advise. Thank you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.