check my regex?

haku

Regex is my weak point. I'm not so good at it. I just put this one together - can someone give it a lookover? It's supposed to match this pattern:

* string starts with at least one digit, but could be multiple digits. No letters, only numbers

* after the initial digits will be the string '_sign_in'

* there will never be anything else - nothing between the digits and _sign_in, and _sign_in will always be the end of the string

Here is what I have come up with:

/^[0-9]+(_sign_in)$/

I think it's probably ok, but as I say, I'm not the best with regex. Can someone let me know if I've missed anything, or if it's ok? Thanks.

And just so you know, the dollar also matches immediately before the final character if it is a newline, unless you set the D modifier. So without setting it, a string like

$str = "1_sign_in\n";

or

$str = '1_sign_in
'; //only on Linux/Unix

would be matched by your pattern.

Thanks guys - a couple of questions:

Mr. Adam - what do you mean 'capture the text'? As in return it to the calling function?

thebadbad - two questions. First, by 'set the D modifier', do you mean '/regex here/D'? Next, I'm checking a value pulled from the database that will never have a new line after it. I should be ok right?

Thanks guys.

A set of parentheses captures the match, as in stores it in the variable provided as the optional third parameter to preg_match() (often called $matches).

And to your second question; yep, /pattern/D is right. If you're certain about the data (or if it doesn't matter) it's not necessary to use the D modifier, but I just tend to do it, when I want the dollar to match only at the very end of the string.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.