PHP mssql help

Mohanddo

Hello i just started learning php yesterday and i wanted to make a simple login system. Im using a mssql database for this and no matter what i do im just not getting any results. Ive enabled mssql extension in php.ini already. Here is the php code:

<?php
$username = $_POST['username'];
$password = $_POST['password'];
$server = '127.0.0.1\SQLEXPRESS';
$link = mssql_connect($server, 'username', 'pass');
if(!$link)
{
    die('Error connecting to server');
}
mssql_select_db('ACCOUNT_DBF', $link);
$query = mssql_query("SELECT account, password FROM ACCOUNT WHERE account = '$username' ");
$loginrow = mssql_fetch_assoc($query);

echo $loginrow['account'];

?>

After i press the submit button i just get a blank page.

Am i going wrong somewhere?  :confused:

Thnx for your time.

The OP is checking $link and if it is FALSE is exiting the script using die, therefore it should be connected fine. I'd guess the Query is either failing or simply not finding a row that matches. Unfortunately, never having worked with mssql I'm not sure how you'd go about debugging it correctly. Checking if $query is equal to FALSE before passing it to mssql_fetch_assoc would be a good start though.

Well if I run it I get...

Notice: Undefined index: username in C:\xampp\htdocs\sandbox\index.php on line 3

Notice: Undefined index: password in C:\xampp\htdocs\sandbox\index.php on line 4

Warning: mssql_connect() [function.mssql-connect]: Unable to connect to server: 127.0.0.1\SQLEXPRESS in C:\xampp\htdocs\sandbox\index.php on line 6

Error connecting to server

Well if I run it I get...

Notice: Undefined index: username in C:\xampp\htdocs\sandbox\index.php on line 3

Notice: Undefined index: password in C:\xampp\htdocs\sandbox\index.php on line 4

Warning: mssql_connect() [function.mssql-connect]: Unable to connect to server: 127.0.0.1\SQLEXPRESS in C:\xampp\htdocs\sandbox\index.php on line 6

Error connecting to server

Well of course you will get this error because there are no POST variables being sent to your page and you do not have a mssql server installed.

But thnx to everyone for replies i will try to check the string and also execute it to see results. Is the syntax fine? Im not too good with encapsulting quotes  :shrug:

Something i want to make sure also:

In my query function $query = mssql_query("SELECT account, password FROM ACCOUNT WHERE account = '$username' ");

The query by itself has to be SELECT acccount, password FROM ACCOUNT WHERE account="usernamehere"

Does my line for this query also include the quotes around usernamehere? This is the only thing i can think of now... i also executed the query inside management studio and it worked fine.

Obviously I should get those message since as you say I don't have the $_POST values set nor an mssql installation, I was simply pointing it out since rajivgonsalves said they didn't get an error.

Does $query have a value other than FALSE? I don't know about MsSQL specifically but in general SQL strings should be encased in quotes so I imagine the same applies to the MS 'flavour'.

I tried both double and triple and still im getting a blank page.

What is the difference between == and === ?

Also i think i noticed that in mysql you dont need to have quotes around VARCHAR datatypes however in mssql it is nessecary.

I know im being a little picky on this but does my query definetly have quotes around the string $username? Do the single quotes around $username just represent that $username will be a string or are they actually quotes that the query will have?

The double equals checks if something is equal, the triple quote checks if they are exactly equal (including data type). For example 0 is == to FALSE but it is not === to FALSE. In that specific case it probably didn't matter, but it's good to get in the habit of using it when your actually checking for FALSE. Try it out...

if(0==FALSE) {
   echo "Match";	
} else { 
   echo "No Match";
}

if(0===FALSE) {
   echo "Match";	
} else { 
   echo "No Match";
}

In MySQL VARCHAR entries in a database should have quotes around them. You can easily debug with MySQL by echo'ing out mysql_error a quick look at PHP.net seems to indicate that mssql_get_last_message is approximately the equivalent. So try echo'ing that out before echo'ing out the $loginrow value. If MsSQL is throwing any errors you'll then know what it is.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.