5 Star Rating System..

eugene2009

Hello, so im following this tutorial..

My tables are created and everything works great!!

But my problem is.. i want this rating script to work in my gallery for every individual photo..

every picture is /picture.php?id=23  , or id=2, etc.. anyways..

Ive been trying to do a lot of different things where it will save to the database under different id's so every page has its own rating count.. somebody please help me. here are the 2 pages that need to be edited.. thanks in advance..

//_drawrating.php

<?php

function rating_bar($id,$units='',$static='') { 

require('_config-rating.php'); // get the db connection info

//set some variables
$ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
if (!$units) {$units = 10;}
if (!$static) {$static = FALSE;}

// get votes, values, ips for the current rating bar
$query=mysql_query("SELECT total_votes, total_value, used_ips FROM $rating_dbname.$rating_tableName WHERE id='$id' ")or die(" Error: ".mysql_error());

// insert the id in the DB if it doesn't exist already
// see: http://www.masugadesign.com/the-lab/scripts/unobtrusive-ajax-star-rating-bar/#comment-121
if (mysql_num_rows($query) == 0) {
$sql = "INSERT INTO $rating_dbname.$rating_tableName (`id`,`total_votes`, `total_value`, `used_ips`) VALUES ('$id', '0', '0', '')";
$result = mysql_query($sql);
}

$numbers=mysql_fetch_assoc($query);

if ($numbers['total_votes'] < 1) {
$count = 0;
} else {
$count=$numbers['total_votes']; //how many votes total
}
$current_rating=$numbers['total_value']; //total number of rating added together and stored
$tense=($count==1) ? "vote" : "votes"; //plural form votes/vote

// determine whether the user has voted, so we know how to draw the ul/li
$voted=mysql_num_rows(mysql_query("SELECT used_ips FROM $rating_dbname.$rating_tableName WHERE used_ips LIKE '%".$ip."%' AND id='".$id."' ")); 

// now draw the rating bar
$rating_width = @number_format($current_rating/$count,2)*$rating_unitwidth;
$rating1 = @number_format($current_rating/$count,1);
$rating2 = @number_format($current_rating/$count,2);

if ($static == 'static') {

$static_rater = array();
	$static_rater[] .= "\n".'<div class="ratingblock">';
	$static_rater[] .= '<div id="unit_long'.$id.'">';
	$static_rater[] .= '<ul id="unit_ul'.$id.'" class="unit-rating" style="width:'.$rating_unitwidth*$units.'px;">';
	$static_rater[] .= '<li class="current-rating" style="width:'.$rating_width.'px;">Currently '.$rating2.'/'.$units.'</li>';
	$static_rater[] .= '</ul>';
	$static_rater[] .= '<p class="static">'.$id.'. Rating: <strong> '.$rating1.'</strong>/'.$units.' ('.$count.' '.$tense.' cast) <em>This is \'static\'.</em></p>';
	$static_rater[] .= '</div>';
	$static_rater[] .= '</div>'."\n\n";

return join("\n", $static_rater);

} else {

$rater ='';
      $rater.='<div class="ratingblock">';

$rater.='<div id="unit_long'.$id.'">';
      $rater.='  <ul id="unit_ul'.$id.'" class="unit-rating" style="width:'.$rating_unitwidth*$units.'px;">';
      $rater.='     <li class="current-rating" style="width:'.$rating_width.'px;">Currently '.$rating2.'/'.$units.'</li>';

for ($ncount = 1; $ncount <= $units; $ncount++) { // loop from 1 to the number of units
           if(!$voted) { // if the user hasn't yet voted, draw the voting stars
              $rater.='<li><a href="db.php?j='.$ncount.'&q='.$id.'&t='.$ip.'&c='.$units.'" title="'.$ncount.' out of '.$units.'" class="r'.$ncount.'-unit rater" rel="nofollow">'.$ncount.'</a></li>';
           }
      }
      $ncount=0; // resets the count

$rater.='  </ul>';
      $rater.='  <p';
      if($voted){ $rater.=' class="voted"'; }
      $rater.='>'.$id.' Rating: <strong> '.$rating1.'</strong>/'.$units.' ('.$count.' '.$tense.' cast)';
      $rater.='  </p>';
      $rater.='</div>';
      $rater.='</div>';
      return $rater;
}
}
?>

and heres the page where to display..

//test.php

<?php require('_drawrating.php');?>

<head>
<title>Multiple Ajax Star Rating Bars</title>

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="js/behavior.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="js/rating.js"></script>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/default.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/rating.css" />
</head>

<body>

<?php echo rating_bar('2id',5); ?>

</body>
</html>

Can somebody please help me? THanks  :confused:

so, i'm trying to understand here.

each page can have several pictures.  does each page have a unique ID in the database?

and then you give each picture an ID when they get displayed to the page, correct?

just set up a table where you store the page ID as well as the picture ID with the rating:

table: ratings
+---------+------------+----------------+
| page_id | picture_id | picture_rating |
|    5    |     2      |       7        |
|    5    |     3      |       9        |

and each time somebody goes to rate an image, check that table, and if the picture already has a rating in relationship to the page they're on, just update `picture_rating` (using your algorithm first of course), and that should suffice.

you can also add user tracking information to the table (or session/whatever), so that users cannot vote more than once on a specific picture.  you might already have that with the AJAX, i didn't look.

is that what you're going towards?

dont mind the page id.. just say theres 1 picture per page and i want that 5 stars linked with the id of the picture..

how exactly am I going to plug this function into my existing code? im having trouble getting it to work with the code.. please help me

and yes i have the tracking information set up..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.