Hello!

Artelus

I just wrote an entirely long topic, but then I clicked on "The Rules" link on the bottom above the post button, and it brought me out of this page. It should have opened a new window (or tab, nowadays).

Not only that, but it erased my entire post and how I have to write it again from scratch. Just a heads up on that.

So, Like I've said before...

I know decent HTML and CSS. I started learning in the 7th grade. Besides those two programming languages, I don't know anything else. I gave up learning Javascript in the 7th grade as well. I tried learning PHP on many different occasions, but I've always given up because I had no knowledge in any other programming language to back me up.

Now that I'm starting to use WordPress to make my websites, I'll need some knowledge in PHP in order to continue.

About me: I'm a junior in high school (11th grade) and I plan on making a career doing art, web design, advertisement, and blogging.

I currently have a problem with a certain Wordpress theme called Themehybrid. I can't get any support on it, because while it is open source, the person who created it requires you to pay in order to read his articles, post on his forums, and read replies on his forum. Yeah, I know right? And I don't have any online money on me right now.

I already know that in order to edit say, the header of a wordpress theme, you must go into the header.php file and edit the HTML there.

However, this theme uses something that I'm not familiar with, called hooks. When I go to the header.php file to the section that I want to edit, here's what I see:

<div id="header">

<?php hybrid_header(); // Header hook ?>

</div><!-- #header -->

I have no idea what that means. Am I supposed to edit another file in order to edit the information between those DIV tags? If so, where am I supposed to go?

Please forgive me for asking for help on my introduction topic, but any help will be appreciated!

P.S., by the way, your verification image is extremely hard to read. (six attempts!)

ok I haven't used heaps of php so I'm guessing kinda. I found this article here and by what I see, you've cut something from the code there though I'm unsure lol. But considering this:

Hooks are the key to making just about any customization you want to Thesis and, ultimately, to WordPress. Thesis features a simple hook system that is essentially an API—a set of basic commands that you can use to add to, subtract from, and modify the functionality of your Thesis installation.

So I'd say that is it but I am totally unsure :(

EDIT: Also, please try to use a more descritive title like: "wordpress them customization" ect.

Also, i always to be safe open what I need in new windows in new windows. You can do this (normally) by clicking in the scroll bar thingo on your mouse :)

You know... usually if you hit the back button, values you entered in previous input fields will still be there.

As far as your problem goes.  That function doesn't exist so it's most likely a custom function.. created by WordPress.  Although the ONLY WAY to use a custom function is if that function is defined either within the same file or included from another.

example 1 - defined within the same file

//First we define it
function hybrid_header() {
      // A whole bunch of other things that make up this function
     /// more stuff
}
hybrid_header(); // Then we use it
?>

example 2 - included from another file

File 1 - hybrid.php

function hybrid_header() {
      // A whole bunch of other things that make up this function
     /// more stuff
}
?>

File 2 - index.php

include('hybrid.php');
hybrid_header();

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.