Connection/User privileges problem - need help fast please

SaturdayNightSpecial

Hello,

i would greatly appreciate any help I could get as soon as possible, I've got to go to a trade show tomorrow to pitch this new site and I can't get my local server set up.

I just did a fresh download of xammp, the php ver. is 3.2.0.1 with MySql ver. 5.1.37 running on XP.  I'm very new to site design and especially php/mysql but i did get it running fine on my desktop.  With this new installation I never get a login screen.  It runs fine on the default root@localhost login but I can't get it to work with an additional user privilege of root@locahost using the password that my site uses on the desktop.  I can change the host on the default root username to 127.0.0.1 like I have it on the desktop and it says it was saved but then i get the error message "Access denied for user root@localhost (using password "No")  and it never displays a login screen.  i then have to uninstall and reinstall xammp to take another shot at it but I'm running out of time.  There's no "Exit" icon in the top left beside the "home" button either.  I'm not sure if there was a setting that I did on the desktop install to get the login screen or not but if there was i don't remember what it was.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I added a new user in phpMyadmin with the host set to 127.0.0.1 and saving a copy of the old default root@localhost  I then edited the root@localhost to have a password.  Then I used the config.ini flie from my desktop which already had authentication turned on and now i get the login page.  It still won't login without a password even though the "AllowNoPassword" in the config file is set to true but i can deal with that problem since i always logging in with the password anyway.

Unfortunately, I'm still having problems.  The site files that run fine on my desktop are doing some weird stuff on this new install on the laptop.  I know it's making the database connection because some of the information from the database is displaying (mostly photos) but the text from the database is not displaying.  I'm also getting a syntax error on one of the pages.  It's one of those errors that says the problem is on a line that is higher than the code actually goes to.  In other words, the code goes to line 621 but it's reporting syntax error expecting $end on line 626.  I've run into this before but I can't remember what the fix was.  Any ideas?

For those who may be having the same problem in the future this turned out to be a setting in the php.ini file.  There were some short tags in my code so the answer is to go into the php.ini and look for short_open_tag and turn it "On".  Look carefully in the php.ini file as there are two references to short_open_tag in there and the second one is the one that needs to be changed.

As far as the login page not showing up on phpmyadmin I can't give much direction there.  I just copied the config.inc file in the phpmyadmin folder from my desktop that I knew was working correctly.  I'm sure it has something to do with authentication but even when I put the authentication in the new download of xammp it still didn't work but my old file from the desktop did work.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.