Server requirements

mysterbx

Hello There,

I don't mean to be rude, but if you have to ask how much power you need for a server, are you sure you can configure it to do what you'd like?

Linux (assuming that's what your server will run), especially without a GUI (which is what most server configs are), is not something you'll want to just jump into.

Also, why build your own? Will your server have redundancy? Will it have "server-grade" components? These are things to consider depending on how serious you are. For example, you could easily use an old PC, even with a 1GHz processor and 128 MB of RAM for your personal site so your friends and family can visit, but YouTube/Vimeo/etc are clearly running on better hardware. All in your intended use.

If you decide to continue, the rule of thumb is the more power the better (for single-servers anyway). RAM is fairly cheap now, so i'd say no less than 2GB for video. Honestly, you can probably get away with 1 GB or even 512MB, but again, there's no excuse not to have more these days.

I think 2GB of RAM and a 3GHz Processor for a server should last you many years to come. Just my opinion, but I usually err on the safe side of "Better safe than sorry"

Ryan

Well I dont want to invest very much in to the first days...

but i was thinking of getting 8-10ghz processor and 8-10gb ram.

The first website that will be on the server will not only consist of streaming videos, also a bunch of other content, pictures & stuff.

Would that kind of specs work?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.