1,000 select boxes with 100 options?!

ds111

I have 1 drop down select box with 1,000 options.

In some case, there will be 100+ of these select boxes, with absolutely identical options.

Is there any way to avoid repeating 1,000 options for 100 select boxes?

For example:

OnBlur = remove options from selectbox, and

OnFocus = to add them back.

Can you refer me to some example of the proper way to do this?

I'd have thought personally the best option would be to redesign your interface. I can see no possible reason for a need to have that many controls on a single page. 1,000 options is an obscene about of values to display to the user, it would take an eternity of searching. Personally I'd look into using AJAX to create an auto-suggestion textbox (much in the manner of how google works). So for example if you wish the user to enter their occupation, they type m and it will automaticatlly come up with maid, martian, mathmatician, mechanic, mobster etc, etc. They then add an a to make it ma and mechanic and mobster are removed from the options. You would also want to split the controls over many pages, you don't want to overwhelm the user so you ask 10 or so questions at once.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.