Install Problems

Hi I am trying to learn PHP through Lynda.com and cant even get past first base.  I am using a Mac 10.5.8 and have downloaded mysql-5.1.40-OSX 10.5-powerpc-64bit.dmg.  After unzipping the file, they then tell you to unzip the SQL interface which I did but it does not work.  When I press the start MySql button it does nothing and remains not started.  My colleague n I have been living in technological hell trying to learn this so we can develop an ecommerce site.  It seems impossible!  Hope someone can help!  Thanks.

Wow thanks for replying so fast Im used to getting answers days later from Lynda com.  I have written to them and they say that I should try to do it this way.  If I download MAMP as apache is part of the mac operating system will it conflict?

Thats great .. so in answer to my question, will it conflict?  Thanks  :shrug:

No, All you need to do is stop the pre-existing apache/MySql processes (preferrably disabling them) And install that. It'll allow you to start them separately from your pre-existing applicastions, but they're all linked for security and portability. No worries about conflicting. (On Linux and Windows it works excellent that I've done, Mac is based on Unix, so It'll be alright)

EDIT: I was playing Soul Calibur IV on PS3 for the last hour, lol, on and off there're lots of people here, guess not right now.

EDIT 2: This is kinda an apache installation question, dunno if the installation forums have active people, atleast it's answered.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.