Cant seem to read php files.

hi im really new to this php thing. i dont really understand the rational behind dowloading the php program. is it to allow you to read php files?

im using windows vista home premium service pack 1. i downloaded apache_2.2.14-win32-x86-no_ssl and installed PHP 5.3 (5.3.1) VC6 x86 Non Thread Safe using the installer from the php website. when i used the installer they gave me the option of fastcgi, other cgi or no web server. when i clicked fastcgi they said that IIS was not up to date or something. so i downloaded IIS7 using windows web platform. i uploaded a php file to a host server and when i open it using a web browser only the htmls show up. can anyone enlighten me on this? thank you very much.

i dont really understand the rational behind dowloading the php program.

The php program is what executes php code within a server. It has nothing to do with being able to read php code.

Once a php program has been executed via a php enabled server you can only ever see the output of said program (usually just plain html).

What exactly are you wanting to achieve?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.