output as link to file

Bazzaah

I'd appreciate some help please.

I am building an audio dictionary and have written a working search function.

I would like the search to return a link to the relevant audio file, so that if someone searches for a word in the database they can click on the link to stream that file via their browser.

I have set the database to link to files stored in the site's main folder.

So far drawn a blank with my various efforts.

This is what I have  currently;

<?php

$result = mysql_query("SELECT word,sentence1 FROM pro_words WHERE word LIKE '%$search%'");

//get the db content that is specified above

if (mysql_num_rows($result) < 1) {

echo "<h2>Sorry, but your search did not yield any results.</h2>";

}else {

echo '<table align="center" cellspacing="8" cellpadding="8" width="85%"><tr>
<td align="left"><b>Word</b></td><td align="left"><b>Example of usage</b></td></tr>
';

echo "<h3>This is what we found:</h3><br>";

while ($r=mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQLI_ASSOC))

echo '<tr><td align="left">' . $r['word'] . '</td><td align="left">' . $r['sentence1'] . '</td></tr>';

}

echo '</table>'; // Close the table.

}

?>

It works fine as a search function and I have tried adding various iterations around <a href> where the code echoes the search output but without success.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Do you mean that you want to echo out the 'word' returned by the search results into a link? Kind of like 'word.php?w=word_here'?

echo '<tr><td align="left"><a href="word.php?w=' . $r['word'] . '">' . $r['word'] . '</a></td><td align="left">' . $r['sentence1'] . '</td></tr>';

that's exactly what I meant, thanks!

I'll need to sort out the links as I get a 404 when I click on the search results, but it looks exactly right!

I have a question on the syntax - <a href="word.php?w=..." - I take it word.php is produced dynamically as a result of the query?.

Thanks for your help.

that's exactly what I meant, thanks!

I'll need to sort out the links as I get a 404 when I click on the search results, but it looks exactly right!

I have a question on the syntax - <a href="word.php?w=..." - I take it word.php is produced dynamically as a result of the query?.

Thanks for your help.

Mmm, not sure what you mean.. produced dynamically? "word.php" was just a file I made up, passing the actual word returned from the query through the GET parameter "w". You'd need to create word.php on your server in order to remove the 404 error; then within word.php you can return and process / do whatever you want with the "w" parameter value.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.