What does a forum need to be active?

KingOfHeart

phpfreaks has a great forum, full of activity. Why? What makes this forum active? I'm part of a forum where activity seemed to have dropped. Now I'm not expecting to make it as active as this one, but just a bit more. We seem to be in a slump, tossing out ideas, and going in circles. Even though this is not my forum, as a community we are looking for ways to improve it.

http://www.thegaminguniverse.com/forum/index.php?action=forum

When you look at that forum, what are the first things that come to your mind. What is it lacking? What could be done to improve it (even if we need to 100% change).

*Yes, the main index is broken, but ignore that issue.*

Well, that's about it. I don't know what GamingUniverse is, why should I be interested in their forums?

In my case at least a lot of users are coming to the forums through my main site, where there's plenty of decent materials.

http://www.thegaminguniverse.com/forum/index.php

Here's a link to our front page as well.

We provide a home for various projects which are either remakes of old games or new games. All games are free to download. If you wish to know more about the projects, other than the information that is on the site then join the forums and ask the developers. If you have a project yourself and need a place to show it off then don't hesitate to contact us and join Gaming Universe for no costs at all.

Now besides the look, is there some advice you could give for changing our purpose, or something that we could add/remove to make our site more interesting.

I reckon there are a few reasons why PHP Freaks has got a decent amount of activity:

1) We already rank highly for important terms on Google. Number 1 and 2 for "php help", number 3 for 4 for "php forum(s)", still on the front page for "php tutorials".

2) The forum is full with members who are willing to help other people. It's not uncommon that someone says "wow, this was a fast reply" or something along those lines.

Anyways, I wouldn't consider your forum small. It's got just about half a million posts after all.

+1 Mchl

I don't like being negative, but I found it difficult to read.  I'm colorblind, but I found the colors used a bit jarring.  Are those the reasons it has slumped a bit?

No.  It's all about reaching your target audience.  I'm not a gamer, but I would think that a section called "cheats" would be a draw to your site.  Anybody that has a cheat just adds it to the section.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.