MYSQL select problem

Third_Degree

Hi guys,

I've run into a seemingly strange problem.  I am coding a very simple search function looking in just one mysql table, but whenever I use the query "SELECT * FROM `table` WHERE `field`='value'"  I only get the last record in the table the WHERE statement applies, as opposed to all of them.  Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Simplified Code:

$query = mysql_query( "SELECT * FROM users WHERE `Country`='Australia'" );
print mysql_num_rows($query) . '<br />';
while ( $person = mysql_fetch_object( $query ) ) {
	print $person->id;
}

I consistently only get one record, although there are quite a few more than 1 in the db.

I'm not sure but try using mysql_fetch_assoc() instead of mysql_fetch_object() as well as $person['id'] rather than $person->id.

I can't think of any other reason in all honesty. :-\

EDIT: I've just seen you haven't declared the connection when querying. I believe you need to use:

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE `Country`='Australia'", $connection);

I'm not sure but try using mysql_fetch_assoc() instead of mysql_fetch_object() as well as $person['id'] rather than $person->id.

I can't think of any other reason in all honesty. :-\

EDIT: I've just seen you haven't declared the connection when querying. I believe you need to use:

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE `Country`='Australia'", $connection);

I know how to use both mysql_fetch_assoc and mysql_fetch_object, and regardless they should both work.  The query is pulling from the right database (there's only one anyway) so the connection isn't the issue.  Ugh.  Thanks for your help though.

figured it out.  Damn whitespace.

Do you mean the whitespace in mysql_query()? If so, I removed that above as it was annoying me. I should have mentioned it but like you, I honestly didn't think it would make any difference. It was kind of at the back of my mind but I didn't want to mention it in case it was a stupid suggestion. :P Glad you got it sorted anyway.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.