Site/Page speed

merylvingien

With the announcment from google that they will be introducing a ranking score with regards to page speed.

Has anyone actually bothered to do anything about the speed of thier sites, i.e implement Gzip compression, cache control, image optimisation etc?

I have done what i can (what i know how to) so far to optimise the speed of my site, using the page speed tool combined with firebug and have got my site 95% faster than most sites (according to the tool)

But being on a shared server i have no control over cache control (expires header) etc, in fact i wouldnt even know where to begin, very little instruction on the net about this subject that i have been able to find.

As google have stated that this WILL come into play soon, maybe now is a good time for discussion!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.