str_replace problem

ShaolinF

The str_replace() you posted does what you are asking, provided you use it like I stated (edit: and CV just re-quoted for your convenience since you apparently did not see or read the post) -

<?php
$_SESSION['L_NAME0'] = "O'Malley";
$_SESSION['L_NAME0'] = str_replace("'", "", $_SESSION['L_NAME0']);
echo $_SESSION['L_NAME0'];
?>

Are you sure you want to remove the single-quotes or do you actually need to escape them? What overall problem are you having that you are trying to solve?

The single quote is at the end of the string and str_replace don't work, it'll work if the quote is anywhere else in the string though which is weird. The reason I want to remove the quote is because I am trying to send the data over to the paypal server but the quote causes the paypal server to return an error.

You will need to be way more specific about what you are trying that does not work, because the following DOES work with the single-quote at the end of the string -

<?php
$_SESSION['L_NAME0'] = "OMalleys'";
$_SESSION['L_NAME0'] = str_replace("'", "", $_SESSION['L_NAME0']);
echo $_SESSION['L_NAME0'];
?>

It's either not a single-quote or the first parameter in the str_replace() "'" is not a single-quote.

What does this show, when put right after the line that sets $row -

<?php
$arr = str_split($row->name);
foreach($arr as $char){
echo ord($char),'.';
}
?>

Also, something unusual is going on with your database, because the \ escape character should not be present in the data in the database (though it could be in the data retrieved if magic_quotes_runtime is ON.)

The 39 value is a single-quote. That means that the actual data is correct. That either means that your str_replace() code does not have a single quote in the first paramter (are you using an English keyboard and an ASCII programming editor and type the ' rather than copy/pasted it from somewhere) or your actual code after the str_replace() is adding a single quote.

Here is the escape \ story one more time -

The \ escape characters must be present in the query string so that special SQL characters, such as a single-quote, don't break the syntax of the query (or allow sql injection.) The \ characters are NOT inserted into the database. If you have \ characters in the database it means that your data was escaped twice. This usually happens if magic_quotes_gpc was ON at the time the data was inserted and your code also escaped the data. If the \ characters are not present in the database (which is correct) but they are present when the data is retrieved by php, that means that magic_quotes_runtime is on and it should simply be turned off in your script.

Ah, Ok - I ran the query again on a diff value which also has the single quote at the end of it and this is what it returned:

What does 59 translate to ?

As for magic quotes, I checked the php.ini file and this is what I found:

magic_quotes_gpc = Off

I checked the php.ini file

Always use a phpinfo() statement to check what settings are in case the php.ini that you are looking at is not the one that php is using.

59 is a ; (semi-colon) unless that is part of a multi-byte encoded character. It would help if you posted the string that corresponds to.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.