New to this and already in trouble

padiwak

I am trying to create a directory of Sellers on My Site and have created the MYSql DB and table which are working fine

Using this script

<?

$username="........_admin";

$password="..........";

$database=".........._sellers";

$first=$_POST['first'];

$last=$_POST['last'];

$business=$_POST['business'];

$address=$_POST['address'];

$county=$_POST['county];

$telephone=$_POST['telephone'];

$mobile=$_POST['mobile'];

$email=$_POST['email'];

$web=$_POST['web'];

$about=$POST['about'];

$image1=$POST[image1'];

mysql_connect(localhost,$username,$password);

@mysql_select_db($database) or die( "Unable to select database");

$query = "INSERT INTO sellers VALUES ('','$first','$last','$business','$address','$county','$telephone','$mobile','$email','$web')";

mysql_query($query);

mysql_close();

Have for on this page http://www.irishhorsemarkets.com/addseller.php and script on this page http://www.irishhorsemarkets.com/addbusiness.php

and getting this error code

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ']' in /home/ucuyyijx/public_html/irishhorsemarkets.com/addbusiness.php on line 11

Help Appreciated

Thank you. Changed that and now have new error as follows

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING, expecting ']' in /home/ucuyyijx/public_html/irishhorsemarkets.com/addbusiness.php on line 21

Thank you.

I have ammended the script as follows

$first=$_POST['first'];

$last=$_POST['last'];

$business=$_POST['business'];

$county=$_POST['county'];

$email=$_POST['email'];

$web=$_POST['web'];

$about=$POST['about'];

$image1=$POST['image1'];

$query = "INSERT INTO sellers VALUES ('','$first','$last','$business','$address','$county','$telephone','$mobile','$email','$web')";

mysql_query($query);

mysql_close();

So have corrected the errors but now have error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/ucuyyijx/public_html/irishhorsemarkets.com/addbusiness.php on line 26

That was a daft post sorry. I did'nt close the PHP with ?>  which I have now done.

The form, when filled in is now navigating to the page which has the script however the form data is not writing to the MYSql database.

Should this script work assuming I have named the DB table correctly?

Try replacing the query with this and see if there's an error reported:

mysql_query($query) or trigger_error('MySQL error: '.mysql_error(), E_USER_ERROR);

Yes got this error

Fatal error: MySQL error: Column count doesn't match value count at row 1 in /home/ucuyyijx/public_html/irishhorsemarkets.com/addbusiness.php on line 21

Means you're trying to insert more field (column) values than there actually are.

OK so I added the fields on the form into the query and now I am getting some of the data writing to MySQL, However the Info from fields First, Last & About are not been written to database? Why would this be..

Probably related to the first part.

When I added the additional fields $about & $Image1 the error dissapeared but the detail for $first, $last, $business, and $about are not writing to the database.

The query now looks like this

$query = "INSERT INTO addsellers VALUES ('','$first','$last','$business','$address','$county','$telephone','$mobile','$email','$web','$about','image1')";mysql_query($query) or trigger_error('MySQL error: '.mysql_error(), E_USER_ERROR);

Where have I gone wrong, any help appreciated

Can you post the structure of your table?

mysql> describe addsellers

My guess is you're trying to enter one or more fields in the wrong order. Carefully check each input, make sure it's a valid value (i.e. var_dump it before the query), and also trying printing out the SQL string rather than executing it once, to make sure it looks correct. Generally by debugging a query like that the problem will become clear.

change to

$query = "INSERT INTO addsellers VALUES ('','$first','$last','$business','$address','$county','$telephone','$mobile','$email','$web','$about','image1')";mysql_query($query) or trigger_error('Error in: '.$query. ' - '.mysql_error(), E_USER_ERROR);

and see query

Thank you all for your help. Have made major progress. No more errors. However the about data from form is still not coming to Mysql

Script now lokks like this

$name=$_POST['name'];

$county=$_POST['county'];

$email=$_POST['email'];

$web=$_POST['web'];

$about=$_POST['about'];

$image1=$_POST['image1'];

$query = "INSERT INTO addsellers VALUES ('','$name','$address','$county','$telephone','$mobile','$email','$web','$about','$image1')";mysql_query($query) or trigger_error('MySQL error: '.mysql_error(), E_USER_ERROR);

mysql_close();

?>

The About data is input in a Text Box Field in the form and I have set it up as Varchar in the database

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.