PHP Created Forums Question

Scropion

I have created a forum that is fully functional but I cannot figure out how to make if their is topic that has a new post or reply to it. I can do it like for the forum but I cannot figure a way to do it for the new post.

<?php
$result1 = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM views WHERE thread_id = '$rows[last_post_thread]' and trainer_id='$info[id]' order by id desc limit 1") or die(mysql_error()); 
$result2 = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM views WHERE post_id = '$rows[last_post_reply]' and trainer_id='$info[id]' order by id desc limit 1") or die(mysql_error()); 
?>

The table view has

POST_ID check the lastest post number user has seen

Thread_ID same as POST_ID except thread

Trainer_ID = user_id

The rows variable is from the forum table that have

latest_thread inside the forum

lastest_post number inside the forum..

can anyone help me with this?

I have created a forum that is fully functional but I cannot figure out how to make it check if their is topic that has a new post or reply to it. I can do it like for the forum but I cannot figure a way to do it for the new post.

<?php
$result1 = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM views WHERE thread_id = '$rows[last_post_thread]' and trainer_id='$info[id]' order by id desc limit 1") or die(mysql_error()); 
$result2 = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM views WHERE post_id = '$rows[last_post_reply]' and trainer_id='$info[id]' order by id desc limit 1") or die(mysql_error()); 
?>

The table view has

POST_ID check the lastest post number user has seen

Thread_ID same as POST_ID except thread

Trainer_ID = user_id

The rows variable is from the forum table that have

latest_thread inside the forum

lastest_post number inside the forum..

can anyone help me with this?

I couldn't edit button sorry guys...

I agree with thorpe...

Have you already implemented a commenting system and want to be able to somehow tell the forum that a new reply has been posted, or are you having trouble creating a script that allows users to reply to threads?

you'd have to have a table called say threadViews like so

userID

forumID

viewTime

and then each time a user views a thread, it updates that field.. or creates it if its non-existant... then to see if a thread has new posts you'd use a join like

SELECT forumID FROM threadViews t JOIN forumPosts f ON t.forumID = f.forumID WHERE last_post_reply > viewTime

Alright, I'll try my hardest to say this but it's confusing to me.

I have a forum just like the one we are posting on that I created and it has everything like this. But I keep getting these complains by my members that they cannot tell if there is a NEW reply in their thread. They can tell if there is a NEW thread in the same forum but cannot tell if there is a reply in their thread.

I have tried many different ways to figure out a way but it's too hard and it's starting to hurt my head..

Let me know if this makes more sense or you need me to show you the tables.

read my post.

you'll need to put in a threadViews table

userID

forumID

viewTime (datetime)

where userID and forumID are both primary & foreign keys.

each time a user views a page have this sql statement run

INSERT INTO threadViews (userID, forumID, viewTime) VALUES (userID, forumID, NOW())
  ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE viewTime = NOW();

obviously change userID and forumID to $_SESSION['id'] or however you store those values.

then to check for threads with new posts

not exactly sure how your tables are set up... but say you have threadViews monitoring when a user views a thread, forumPosts which stores all the posts and forumTopics which stores all the topics

SELECT forumID, forumName, etc FROM threadViews t
JOIN forumPosts f ON t.forumID = f.forumID
JOIN forumTopics ft ON t.forumID = ft.forumID
WHERE last_post_reply > viewTime 
ORDER BY last_post_reply DESC

... thats assuming last_post_reply is a datetime field?

if not put in a datetime field for each thread which is updated everytime a reply etc is made to it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.