Tell me what you think

jmr3460

Hey all,

I have been working part time on a site that I volunteer for. I have developed this site from scratch and it is a growing process. I only need the search part of this page or pages tested. The searches are not actually live yet. The links in the header and the links in the footer will take you away from the searches. I am about ready to link this meeting list to the site though. Because I am the only one who is working on the site I am only testing in FF, IE and safari. I guess good or bad I need to hear from someone who know what to test. I have plans to do a search by zip code in the future but for now there are very few of these groups that have given me their zip code. Anyway here is the link:

http://www.arscna.org/meeting/

Thanks for any help

- Your HTML & CSS is invalid.

- Your website links alot to files on different servers foresee for these files a page with an iframe where on top is your navigation (in short) and below is the file you are referring to or add target="_blank" I prefer the first method. The reason for this is 1) usability, users want to browse from one to another file 2) users are otherwise lost

- The ADD FLYER page redirects the user to a completly different page with no navigation (keep consistency between your pages)

- The design is 1998'ish

- If an error occurs on the contact form the user is taken to a completely strange place with some technical text with only a back button. Clicking this back button takes him back to an empty form. -> improve form error handling

The search part? What kind of a critique are you after here?

I guess I am just wanting to find out if the searches on this page is working properly and how maybe how the search pages are displaying on your machines. I am testing with FF and IE mostly and before I finish I usually test in Safari.

- Your HTML & CSS is invalid.

- Your website links alot to files on different servers foresee for these files a page with an iframe where on top is your navigation (in short) and below is the file you are referring to or add target="_blank" I prefer the first method. The reason for this is 1) usability, users want to browse from one to another file 2) users are otherwise lost

- The ADD FLYER page redirects the user to a completly different page with no navigation (keep consistency between your pages)

- The design is 1998'ish

- If an error occurs on the contact form the user is taken to a completely strange place with some technical text with only a back button. Clicking this back button takes him back to an empty form. -> improve form error handling

Yes I guess it is a simple site. Some of these files were created as I was learning PHP and did not know how to do some things that I can do now. I have to admit that I have not been concentrating on validation since I have been learning PHP. I will work on this because I know that it will help in the display issues that I sometimes run into with IE.  And I will go back to all of the pages of scripts and make sure that all have the same appearance. Though it has been a while since I have used iframes I will have to think about that one. If I do use iframes and the user goes to one of the links on the framed site it would take them completely away from my site, is that correct?

You should be using "get" rather than "post" when creating search/filter features

If I went to the GET method would I still have the same capabilities with the select list?

What is the advantages of using GET over POST.

Before I forget Thank all of you for your comments I get a lot of useful information from this site. I hope to be able to do the same some day.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.