Updating the current record

cliftonbazaar

The following code loops through all the data in a particular table and edits any record that is behind in time, then updates it.

So how do I get it to update just the record that I am working on?  I realise the quick answer is to have '$sql' use  a WHERE statement to find the record again but wouldn't this include going through the whole database again to find the record slowing the whole process down?

WHILE($match = mysql_fetch_array($matches)) {  //Go through all the matches
    if(time()>$match['updateTime']) {  //This means we need do update it

//DO x y and z

$d=$match['updateTime']+60;  //Update the timer (add another minute))

//Update the database
  $sql = "UPDATE matches SET updateTime='{$updatedTime}'";		
  if(!mysql_query($sql,$sqldb)) die('Error: ' . mysql_error());  //Update the record, if there is an error then show it
}
  }

Using WHERE is the way forward. I assume there is a field used as an id so you simply use WHERE id=$match['id']. The record set returned by your original mysql_query is just a block of data so there is no way to update the actual database through that record set.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.