foreach problem

james182

i am trying to pull out the correct item key in and array and store it in the "item_key" variable.

class myClass{

var $item_key;

function get_menu($page_name) {
	$menu_item = array("Dashboard", "Content", "Comments", "Media", "Syndication", "Newsletter", "Affiliate", "Appearance", "Members", "Settings");
	$menu_item_link = array("dashboard", "content", "comments", "media", "syndication", "newsletter", "affiliate", "appearance", "members", "settings");
	$menu_item_icon = array("dashboard", "edit", "comments", "media", "syndication", "send", "cash", "color", "users", "advanced");

echo 'Key: '. $this->item_key; // Testing purpose only.

echo '<h2><span class="h-ico ico-'. $menu_item_icon[$this->item_key] .'"><span>'. self::show_page_name($page_name) .'</span></span>
		<span class="h-arrow"></span>					
	</h2>';

echo '<ul class="clearfix">';

$i=0;
	foreach($menu_item as $key => $value):
		if($value != self::show_page_name($page_name)):
			echo '<li><a class="h-ico ico-'. $menu_item_icon[$i] .'" href="'. parent::get_site_url() .'cp/'. $menu_item_link[$i] .'"><span>'. $value .'</span></a></li>';
		else:
			echo '';
			$this->item_key = $key;
		endif;
		$i++;
	endforeach;

echo '</ul>';
}
}

What data? Are you saying that after calling the function the $item_key variable doesn't contain a value? If that's the case then it's probably because...

...never evaluates to false. Since we can't see what the function show_page_name does it's difficult to say, but it doesn't seem to return anything that is in the array $menu_item. Are you sure it returns a value which begins with a capital letter?

function show_page_name($string) {
	$page_name = $string;

$words = split("[/]", $page_name);	
	$page_name = $words[3];
	$page_name = substr($page_name, 0, strrpos($page_name, '.')); 
	$page_name = ucfirst($page_name);
	return $page_name;
}

show page name just remove slashes in string eg: "/to/be/members.php" becomes "members".

Have i gone about storing the data in a var the right way???

At the start of your loop echo out something along the lines of...

echo "$value = ". self::show_page_name($page_name) . '<br/>':

... and comment out the other echo statements in the function. That way you will see exactly what it's comparing and it should become obvious why a value doesn't match. Alternatively before doing that place a die statement in the else block to check it doesn't actually enter it.

ok let me say that my code all works except for the the storing of the array item number:

echo '<li><a class="h-ico ico-'. $menu_item_icon[$i] .'" href="'. parent::get_site_url() .'admin/'. $menu_item_link[$i] .'"><span>'. $value .'</span></a></li>';
		else:
			echo '';
			$this->item_key = $value; // PROBLEM IS HERE, IT'S NOT SENDING TO VAR OUTSIDE OF THIS FUNCTION.
		endif;

No, firstly you don't have a dollar sign on your var declaration but perhaps that's just a typo? I don't believe you can place that echo statement inside a class like that, code inside a class should be inside a function. Also to access a class level variable I believe you should be using $this just like in your original code, that code you just posted I believe will create a local variable inside the function with the same name as the class level variable.

Having said all this I've never really done much OOP with PHP, I'm basing what I say on the brief experiments I have done. As a quick example of usage...

class ExampleClass 
{
    var $class_level_var;

public function set_var($var) {
        $this->class_level_var = $var;
    }
}

$bob = new ExampleClass();
$bob->set_var("hello");
echo $bob->class_level_var;

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.