simplexml and xpath - Need some help

rg66

Hello,

I am trying to parse an xml which comes back from Amazon and I am trying to know how many Browsenodes are shown within the XML.

I am using the classs Tarzan to get the xml from Amazon and the returned data is automatically placed into simplexml.

So currently I have this script

$nodeinfo = $pas->browse_node_lookup($node);

$xmlNode = $nodeinfo ->body->BrowseNodes->BrowseNode->xpath('/Ancestors');
$nodeCount = count ( $xmlNode );
if($nodeCount){
echo "NodeCount".$nodeCount."\n";
}

The $nodeinfo holds the following xml structure and I am only showing the part for the Nodes

[browseNodes] => SimpleXMLElement Object
                (
                    [Request] => SimpleXMLElement Object
                        (
                            [isValid] => True
                            [browseNodeLookupRequest] => SimpleXMLElement Object
                                (
                                    [browseNodeId] => 16197
                                )

)

[browseNode] => SimpleXMLElement Object
                        (
                            [browseNodeId] => 16197
                            [Name] => Epic
                            [Ancestors] => SimpleXMLElement Object
                                (
                                        (
                                            [browseNodeId] => 16190
                                            [Name] => Fantasy
                                                (
                                                        (
                                                            [browseNodeId] => 25
                                                            [Name] => Science Fiction & Fantasy
                                                                (
                                                                        (
                                                                            [browseNodeId] => 1000
                                                                            [Name] => Subjects
                                                                            [isCategoryRoot] => 1
                                                                                (
                                                                                        (
                                                                                            [browseNodeId] => 283155
                                                                                            [Name] => Books

with the Xpath I am trying to get the number how often "Ancestors" is shown.  With this count I am able to goto my next programming script.

With my script this is not working, it always gives me a 1.

Is there a better way then how I have tried to solve it to count the Ancesters node?

Is there also a way how to read the Nodes backway to front?  Amazon gives the Structure of an item from the lowest group to the highest.

I am kind of new with Simplexml and would really need some help.

Hope some one can help me out.

Best regards,

Robert

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.