Can't access directory!

B0b

Hai hai hai, guys, I'm having one very strange and important problem.

I can't access a very important directory of my PHP software anymore, which is heavily used to write and read stuff in.

I don't know how this happened, but I MUST recover the files in this directory and this musn't happen again.

It is CHMODed to 755.. Some files had really huge file names (100+ char), there was perhaps 20 files in it.

Well, if I'm trying to open this folder in an FTP client, it never stop loading and cPanel tells me "Data error."! HAI!

What's even more strange, is that the folder itself is actually taking up space (204mb). I mean, usually folders appear to have 4kb even if they have content, but that one appear as 200+mb.

What is this  :confused:

Thanks so much.

When directories/folders contain lots and lots and lots of files, the size of a folder can increase.

The first thing I would try:

Get another FTP Client. Try a few of them. I use FileZilla myself.

Try copying/downloading the folder on to your computer.

I myself would try using ncftp or similar ftp on the command line and going "ls a*" (this will only list files with a as a first letter).

It could be that the graphica clients are trying to do a ls (list) on the folder, and because there are 1000's of files its timing out.

Fail all that, your going to have to get in touch with your webhost (whoever runs cpanel for you) and get them to look at the files directly if possible.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.