From $_POST to database?

clay1

I've got a form with about 30 elements. A mix of text fields, drop downs, check boxes, radio buttons.

How do I get my data from the $_post array to my database in a way that is safe and secure?

This problem has been frustrating me for a week now, I've been unable to find answers that make any sense to me for something that seems like it should be a common process.

I am using postgresql

From what I have found it seems like I want to use 'prepared statements' to prevent sql injection, but other than the php manual for pg_prepare or pg_query_params I can't find anything about how to actually do this in the real world.

Except for about 5 elements all the questions on the form are optional.

I am fairly stupid about this topic so a great deal of hand holding would be appreciated because as I get more frustrated the more useless I am becoming at solving my problem.

I don't have a lot of experience with Postgrsql, but it's not very different from Mysql.  You would gather the data

in clean variables (Postgre probably has an internal function kind of like Mysql's Mysql_real_escape_string()). 

From there you would form a query and load it into the database.  If your using a framework there may be some built in

classes to handle that for you.  Post some of the code your using here.

Businessman:

It's the forming of the query I am having trouble with.

I've read I can use pg_escape_string(the pg equivalent.)

$_POST = array_map('pg_escape_string', $_POST);

Then what would I do? I read 'use pg_prepare' to make the statement.. but I have no idea what I need to do for that for an insert.

pg_insert kind of worked but I have problems when any of the checkboxes are selected and get 'pg_insert expects scaler values'

Sorry if I am not making much sense. My brain is all over the place.

As for posting some code.. I've pretty much scrapped everything I had which was really nothing more than just playing around with the post data and trying to validate it(my issues with that are documented in other similarly exasperated posts)

wait what? are you just trying to get like what ever was typed in the form? then you just need to give a name to all the inputs in the form.

for example

<input type="text" name="name1">

then to get the $_POST you would just use  $_POST['name1']  of course the form would have to be

method=post

is this not what you want?

[quote author=MatthewJ

As far as the query failing if the field is not selected. How about you use a simple isset() on that form field, and if it is not, then insert a default value or leave it out of the query all together?

The problem isn't when something is missing it's when it's included.

if ($_POST) {
array_pop($_POST); //removes $_POST['submit'] from array
$_POST = array_map('pg_escape_string', $_POST);
include('./includes/config.php');
$res = pg_insert($conn, 'leads', $_POST);
if ($res) {
      echo "POST data is successfully logged\n";
  } else {
      echo "User must have sent wrong inputs\n";
  }

}

I seem to have fixed the 'scaler values' error as the inserts are working with the checkboxes

I need to serialize the data though as I am getting 'array' in my database?

So I guess the question now if how do I serialize the array contained inside the $_post array?

Something like?

foreach (array_keys($_POST) as $key) {
$$value = $_POST[$key];
if (is_array($$value)){
		 $$value = serialize($_POST['$$value']);
		 }
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.