Emergency PHP help

ArroyoCondado

I was working on a PHP based website and even though I don't know PHP or Java I thought I could make some small changes but ended up bringing my company's website down. Here's what happened: First I downloaded the PHP file I needed to edit. Then I made a backup of that file. I then added one line of Jave script to the <head> section of the file. I uploaded the file. When I went to our site all the pages that used that PHP file were white. I didn't get a 404 error or anything like that, just a white page. All the info that should be on those pages was still in the back-end of our site like it always is.

Then I uploaded the backup that I made but It didn't fix the problem. Can you please take a look at my code from the <head> section that I changed and tell me if there is anything that looks wrong?

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">

<head profile="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/profile">

<title> Santa Ynez Valley Journal | Articles </title>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../styles/myadmin.css" media="screen" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../styles/forms.css" media="screen" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../styles/dialog.css" media="screen" />

<script language="JavaScript" src="../js/global.js"></script>

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="../js/validation.js"></script>

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">

<!--// validates a form, displaying errors next to fields (specific to each document)

function validateForm(form) {

var valid = true;

ResetValidation("span");

switch(form.name) {

case "add":

if (!IsPosInt('page')) {

ShowInvalid('page_error', '* Must be a positive whole number.');

valid = false;

}

if (!IsNotEmpty('title')) {

ShowInvalid('title_error', '* Cannot be empty.');

valid = false;

}

if (!ValidEmail('authorEmail')) {

ShowInvalid('authorEmail_error', '* Not a valid email address.');

valid = false;

}

break;

}

return valid;

}

//-->

</script>

</head>

You've not posted any PHP code, so this is hardly a PHP question. Which file have you updated/modified? It would help to know  this, as from what I can see that code is fine (and even if it weren't, it'd still show in source which it doesn't.)

Documentation is there for a reason if you need to modify something.  :P

Sorry I'm basically an amateur who knows enough to royally screw myself. I posted this on here because I was editing a file called .php. The file I edited was called article.php it was part of a larger system where you log into an administrate "back door" of our website and upload articles. I have know idea how anything beyond HTML works so I don't know quite how to answer you completely. For the sake of full discolsure I downloaded the file on Filezilla, edited it in Mac text editor, saved it to my desktop as a .txt file, and then renamed it .php. I don't think that would have any effect but I'm kind of desperate for an answer.

Sorry I'm basically an amateur who knows enough to royally screw myself. I posted this on here because I was editing a file called .php. The file I edited was called article.php it was part of a larger system where you log into an administrate "back door" of our website and upload articles. I have know idea how anything beyond HTML works so I don't know quite how to answer you completely. For the sake of full discolsure I downloaded the file on Filezilla, edited it in Mac text editor, saved it to my desktop as a .txt file, and then renamed it .php. I don't think that would have any effect but I'm kind of desperate for an answer.

If you turn error reporting on, I'm sure the blank pages will be filled with errors.

<?php
ini_set ("display_errors", "1"); 
error_reporting(E_ALL);
?>

Make sure the <?php tags aren't nested, if you place that on the top of the php file you edited, we should have a better idea of what is going on!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.