MySQL or MySQLi

duncan2010

Just starting to learn php and have come to the stage of introducing databases and a bit stuck with whether to learn mysql or mysqli - as far as I can gather a lot of people still use the procedural mysql. I now that mysqli can also be procedural, so I welcome any advice on what choices people make and why. Also, if anyone knows what will be the most often encountered in the professional market, so that I don't spend time learning something to learn that it's no longer in use.

Thanks for any advice.

MySQLI Overview : http://www.php.net/manual/en/mysqli.overview.php

MySQLi was developed to take advantage of new features found in MySQL systems.

It provides the same functions and above.

If i were you, i would learn both. I can bet it's gonna be used soon.

Not to mention, Oracle and PostgreSQL are important too.

At least at my country, the most used database system are Oracle and PostgresSQL.

It's interesting that you say that, because it's sort of what I was thinking. I like the idea of having OO php code, as that's the way I learnt to code, but the way the databases are accessed from within the php I think it looks easier to just make the traditional procedural type calls. It also seems to me as though mysql is still more widely used by php programmers, although I cannot verify that. Mysqli also has the procedural versions too, so it feels a little bit like it's neither one thing or another. Hmmm!

For me, it depends on what I am trying to do with my statements.  I found mysql and mysqli to be very easy to pick up on.  I solely use mysql when I am doing things that are purely read or one write only, because it is a hell of a lot easier to program in mysql than mysqli.  However, if I am doing anything that requires multiple writes or write/read then I use mysqli because it supports the commit/rollback functionality.  Remember to use InnoDB if you want to play with commit/rollback though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.