Change encoding of a file

hno

You can read in the file to a variable, apply utf8_encode, and output the result to a new file or overwrite the existing one..

$file = utf8_encode(file_get_contents('text.txt'));
file_put_contents('text_utf8.txt',$file);

Might work.. this is un-tested

You can read in the file to a variable, apply utf8_encode, and output the result to a new file or overwrite the existing one..

No it doesn't work.any other idea?

By the way,is it possible to set it to utf-8 when making a file?

thanks

thanks

You're not making any sense. What are you attempting to do? Are you wanting to convert a string and place it in a UTF-8 document? Are you wanting to put Unicode formatted characters into the file in the first place?

The BOM (Byte Order Mark) is all Windows notepad will spew out, If it is written in UTF-8 it will stay UTF-8 unless you do not use utf8_encode on the string and write it to the file as so.

thanks

You're not making any sense. What are you attempting to do? Are you wanting to convert a string and place it in a UTF-8 document? Are you wanting to put Unicode formatted characters into the file in the first place?

The BOM (Byte Order Mark) is all Windows notepad will spew out, If it is written in UTF-8 it will stay UTF-8 unless you do not use utf8_encode on the string and write it to the file as so.

What I want to do is this:I have a mysql backup  string which make a text file and put the queries in it and because I have Farsi characters in it the file should be utf-8 but it's ansi so I want to make it utf-8.What do you suggest?I think I have two ways for that first change the made file to utf-8 and another one  is I when we are making the file.I don't know it's possible or not to make utf-8 files.

Please help me with that.

Thanks

You should run some quieries on the table to ensure it is in unicode format

mysql_query("SET NAMES 'utf8'");
mysql_query("SET CHARACTER SET 'utf8'");

Or export them as a unicode compatible charset. It should save the file in a unicode document.

If you want to create a file that is unicode with the proper BOM, you may want to download a capable editor (such as Notepad++) or as mentioned, use the 'encoding as UTF8' in notepad.

To read a table that contains unicode characters, you MUST run utf8_encode on the string taken from the database row/file to be able to display the farsi text.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.