Help with MySQL query - dates / max, etc

Roq

Basically I have a database that looks something like this:

id hostname         pingmin pingavg pingmax pingdev pingloss lastupdated

145446 ts3.bo4 83.83 84.21 84.69 0.21         0.0 2010-01-18 13:48:15

145445 ts4.bo4 83.74 84.11 84.66 0.18 0.0 2010-01-18 13:48:08

145444 ts2.bo3 85.71 85.96 86.23 0.12         0.0 2010-01-18 13:48:01

145443 ts2.se1 78.89 79.13 80.66 0.37         5.0 2010-01-18 13:47:54

145442 ts1.bo4 83.82 84.12 84.68 0.19         0.0 2010-01-18 13:47:46

This database is generated by a pingscript that pings a list of devices (roughly 70 devices) 20 times each, every 10 minutes, then adds an entry into the database with the above information.  I store multiple rows for each hostname so that I can use the data to draw graphs with.  However for a basic status page I just want to find the latest entry for each device and display the data.  What is the best way to do this?  I can't seem to get MAX to work with a date field, or maybe I can't get the WHERE clause right, either way I'm stuck.

Can someone please help me with a query?

database name = switchbase

tablename = corp_pingdb

column names = headers from the above table, those are accurate

Thanks!

I believe you mean something like this, which is what I've been trying but doesn't seem to work.  The results it spits out are dated Jan 4th (when I started collecting data).

SELECT MAX(`id`), `hostname`, `pingmin`, `pingavg`, `pingmax`, `pingdev`, `pingloss`, `lastupdated`

FROM `switchbase`.`corp_pingdb`

GROUP BY `hostname`

Update:  This query seems to work correctly, but takes an unacceptable amount of time to execute, maybe 5-10s for the page to load.  Any suggestions for a way to optimize this, or perhaps a different way to do the same thing?

SELECT `corp_pingdb`.`id`, `corp_pingdb`.`hostname`, `corp_pingdb`.`pingmin`, `corp_pingdb`.`pingavg`, `corp_pingdb`.`pingmax`, `corp_pingdb`.`pingdev`, `corp_pingdb`.`pingloss`, `corp_pingdb`.`lastupdated` FROM corp_pingdb,

(SELECT hostname, MAX(`lastupdated`) as max_lastupdated FROM `switchbase`.`corp_pingdb`

GROUP BY `hostname` ORDER BY hostname asc) b

WHERE (`corp_pingdb`.`hostname` = b.hostname AND `corp_pingdb`.`lastupdated` = b.max_lastupdated)

ORDER BY `corp_pingdb`.`hostname`

id select_type table type possible_keys key key_len ref rows Extra

1 PRIMARY <derived2> ALL NULL NULL NULL NULL 73 Using temporary; Using filesort

1 PRIMARY corp_pingdb ALL NULL NULL NULL NULL 166695 Using where

2 DERIVED corp_pingdb ALL NULL NULL NULL NULL 166695 Using temporary; Using filesort

That what you're looking for?

Because I'm a noobie :) 

What would you suggest?

Tangent:

I'm a network engineer that dabbles in coding.  I know enough to automate some tasks and recently decided to take a bunch of my perl / php scripts and just make a simple website to display the results or use some forms instead of cli.  This is really the first time that I've ran into performance issues since most of my scripts / tables are very simple and small.  Example:  Inventory list generated by SNMP queries of serial numbers, model number, hostname, snmp location, etc.  Maybe 300 rows or something.  Most of my tables are between 50 - 4000 rows.  This is the only table I have that is ever-growing which means now is when I have a need to learn about optimizations :)  I'm 100% selftaught based on needs, and now that I have one I need to learn, hah.

I put an index on hostname and lastupdated and that improved the query a ton (explain shows only one 'all' query, and the otehr one is a single).  Didn't think it would be that easy hah.  Thanks for your help I'm going to mark this one as solved, for now :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.