anti-collaboration with php

cindreta

so  i have a cms and i would like to disable all other users to be able to edit a file that is currently being edited by some other user. i couldn't even get the idea how to start making this? do i use some kind of "temp" files or something. All the data comes from the database so entries hav an id?

any ideas?

thanks

If I understand your question you don't want two people to be editing at the same time.

The best solution that I know is to have some kind of version control on the file.

So whenever the file is saved to the database a new unique version token is generated.

Then if two people open the file to edit at the same time you give them the version token in a session.

When they hit save you make sure the token is the same as the one on the server. If not you send a message saying someone saved a version of this file while you were editing it and don't save what they did. They then have to start with the latest file.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.