mail()

mastix

would anyone know what would cause the mail() function in a webpage cease working? the page now stalls for 3 minutes and the mail does not get sent. This was working just fine up to yesterday!!!! no changes in the code, just stopped working. ISP very slow in addressing this. Please help if you have a clue! thanks

It seem highly likely that something on the server is broken.  Typically mail just dumps the email out to the mta using sendmail, unless otherwise configured.  If your server is configured to send the mail to the ISP's email server, then it's highly likely that their server is having issues and php is hanging on script attempting to make an smtp connection to their server and relay the outbound email.

There is another obviouse reason. I have had this once. The mail function takes 5 parameters.

mail($to,$subject,$message, $headers, '-froot@mywebsite.com');

It is possible that your provider has changed something. Mine did this to me. Try adding the 5th parameter with your website name.

Desmond.

thank you.

could you please be more specific about the 5th parameter?

Lets say website is www.mysite.com, the email address is me@mysite.com.

what would the 5th parameter look like? Also, can I use a $email variable instead as email address in the 5th parameter?

In your case above it should be

mail($to,$subject,$message, $headers, '-froot@mysite.com');

e.g

$header = "From: dave@hotmail.com' <Dave>\r\nCC: john@hotmail.com <John>\r\n";

mail('Bill.gates@microsoft.com', 'Windows7', 'This dosnt work', $header, '-froot@mysite.com');

Desmond

In your case above it should be

mail($to,$subject,$message, $headers, '-froot@mysite.com');

e.g

$header = "From: dave@hotmail.com' <Dave>\r\nCC: john@hotmail.com <John>\r\n";

mail('Bill.gates@microsoft.com', 'Windows7', 'This dosnt work', $header, '-froot@mysite.com');

Desmond

Sorta.

The -f parameter is just a weird concatinating glob. Are you sending your e-mails from admin@yoursite.com? Make the parameter -fadmin@site.com for example.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.