Username and password in a login link?

fluvly

I need to create a login link which includes username and password (taken from an intranet), so that when the user clicks it, he gets automatically logged in the website, without going to the login page.

Is it safe to include the username and password in the url?

I know nothing about is, and what the most secure way of doing it is. Any help on the matter would be really welcome!

I need to create a login link which includes username and password (taken from an intranet), so that when the user clicks it, he gets automatically logged in the website, without going to the login page.

I know nothing about is, and what the most secure way of doing it is. Any help on the matter would be really welcome!

Is their password on the site database?

$_GET['pass'] = md5($_POST['pass']);

For example, send the md5 hash and compare it on the actual website. 'if $dbpass = md5($_GET['pass']) ...'

Unless your password is hashed with something like md5 I would not recommend sending it as a GET variable, as anyone standing there could see the password. 

If the password is md5, I would not be concerned to much.....of course the URL might be captured because of browser history..

In my opinion it would be better to set it so when the link is clicked it sets a session variable

I would have to agree with iPixel, sending username/passwords over a uri is pretty simple in just memorizing the uri, in order to use the account elsewhere.

I would take some information, from user records, browser info, ip, and maybe other data to create a md5 token, store this in the user record for lookup.

and also store this into a cookie. so you can lookup the cookie in the user records

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.