$register->validate() returning eternal bool false!

kittrellbj

Hi, everyone,

I just can't see to track down my error here.  The problem is that $register->validate() keeps returning false, and I can't find any problems with it anywhere.  I've been staring at it all day, so maybe a fresh pair of eyes will be able to spot something.

So, here's the way the script works.  Users enter their information on the registration form, the form $_POSTs, and the data is validated by the validate function.  It is *suppose* to return true if the information is validated.  Here is the validate() function:

function validate() {
        if (
        (ctype_alnum($_POST[$username]) && !strlen($_POST[$username]) <= 4 && !strlen($_POST[$username] >= 13))
        &&
        (ctype_alpha($_POST[$userchar]) && !strlen($_POST[$userchar]) <= 2 && !strlen($_POST[$userchar]) >= 13)
        &&
        (filter_var($_POST[$useremail], FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL))
        &&
        (ctype_alnum($_POST[$userpass]) && !strlen($_POST[$userpass]) <= 4 && !strlen($_POST[$userpass] >= 33))
        &&
        (ctype_alnum($_POST[$userpass2]) && !strlen($_POST[$userpass2]) <= 4 && !strlen($_POST[$userpass2] >= 33))
        &&
        ($_POST[$userpass] == $_POST[$userpass2])
        &&
        ($_POST[$termsofservice] == 1)
        &&
        ($_POST['send'])) {
            return true;
        }
        else { return false; }

I did a print_r($_POST) to make sure the $variables I was using instead of "keys" on $_POST was working.  (I use $_POST[$key] instead of $_POST["key"], and the array returns correctly.)

This is the form that users sign up to:

<form method="post" id="customForm" action="">
<label for="user">Username</label>
<input id="username" name="username" type="text" />
<span id="usernameInfo">Enter your username (for logging in).</span>
<label for="name">Character Name</label>
<input id="charname" name="charname" type="text" />
<span id="nameInfo">Enter your character's first name.</span>
<label for="useremail">Valid E-mail Address</label>
<input id="useremail" name="useremail" type="text" />
<span id="emailInfo">Valid E-mail please, you will need it to log in!</span>
<label for="userpass">Password</label>
<input id="userpass" name="userpass" type="password" />
<span id="userpass1Info">At least 5 characters: letters and/or numbers</span>
<label for="userpass2">Re-type password to confirm.</label>
<input id="userpass2" name="userpass2" type="password" />
<span id="pass2Info">Re-type password to confirm.</span><br /><br />
</center><label for="message">Do you Agree to the Terms of Service?  (View the Terms of Service here)</label>
<input type="checkbox" id="termsofservice" name="termsofservice" value="1" /> <strong>I accept the terms of service!</strong><br /> <br />
<center><input id="send" name="send" type="submit" value="Register" /></center>

Any help is appreciated greatly.

Your code is riddled with errors, look at these lines for example:

!strlen($_POST[$username] >= 13))

!strlen($_POST[$userchar]) >= 13)

You're forgetting to close brackets for one.

$_POST[$username] <-- As mentioned $username has to be passed the the function. $username is NULL if it is not passed or defined wtihin.

function validate($username, $userchar, $userpass, $userpass2, $termsofservice) { ...

Thanks a bunch.  It's amazing what a good night's sleep will do for you, combined with a fresh set of eyes to point out mistakes.

Here's the fixed code, finally returning true:  (from function validate() )

function validate() {
        global $username, $userchar, $useremail, $userpass, $userpass2, $termsofservice;
        if (
        (ctype_alnum($_POST[$username]) && strlen($_POST[$username]) >= 5 && strlen($_POST[$username]) <= 12)
        &&
        (ctype_alpha($_POST[$userchar]) && strlen($_POST[$userchar]) >= 3 && strlen($_POST[$userchar]) <= 12)
        &&
        (filter_var($_POST[$useremail], FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL))
        &&
        (ctype_alnum($_POST[$userpass]) && strlen($_POST[$userpass]) >= 5 && strlen($_POST[$userpass]) <= 32)
        &&
        (ctype_alnum($_POST[$userpass2]) && strlen($_POST[$userpass2]) >= 5 && strlen($_POST[$userpass2]) <= 32)
        &&
        ($_POST[$userpass] == $_POST[$userpass2])
        &&
        ($_POST[$termsofservice] == 1)
        ) {
            return true;
        }
        else { return false; }

Can't believe I forgot about global.  Sheesh.  And I attribute the strange ( )'s to being extremely tired by getting to this part of the code.

Thanks for all the help.  <3 phpfreaks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.