help needed!?!

seany123

im making a page which shows the top 20 refferers on my website but i dont really fancy adding another database value for it so im gonna try doing it using the values i have already:

basically every user on the website has a value in the table called ref.. if its >= 1 then it corresponds to another users ID....

so what i need to do is find the users with the most amount of IDs in other players ref value.

so basically i need a way so it will find everyones $refcount not just mine...

this is how i would get my $refcount

//REFFERAL COUNT
$query5 = $db->execute("select * from `users` where `ref`=?",array($user->id));
$refcount = $query5->recordcount();

well actually, nvm that won't exactly work, well it WOULD but it would be a waste of resources, I'd just take the list for example..

SELECT COUNT(*) as num, ref FROM members GROUP BY ref ORDER BY num DESC LIMIT 20

and then run queries on each of the ref ids like so:

<?php
while ($r = mysql_fetch_assoc($r)) {
  $referer = mysql_fetch_object(mysql_query("SELECT * FROM members WHERE id = '{$r['ref']}'"));
  // $referer->username  will be the user's username..

}
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.