Date formating

shahzad

There are many functions for formatting dates, and everybody has their preferences.

My favourite is strftime() as I am an old C programmer.

That takes a unix timestamp and formats it how you like, so first you have to convert your date to a unix timestamp with strtotime()

so in your case, this should give you what you want

assuming your original date is in $mydate

then

$formatted date = strftime("%B %d, %Y",strtotime($mydate))

that only is missing the st, nd, rd, th bit on the day, which you can add some other code to

produce

I will provide some code I wrote for that if you like

I am storing date as 2010-01-26 in Mysql

But i want to display it as November 29th, 2009 to the user

how to format the date??

thanks in advance

A correct example would be this:

$date = "2010-01-26";
$date_new = strtotime($date); 
//Returns: January 26th, 2010
echo date('F jS, Y', $date_new);

Or simply this:

$date = "2010-01-26";
echo date('F jS, Y', strtotime($date));

Yes, date() does seem to have a few extra formatters over strftime(), but you tend to stick with one method, when you have been using it for over 30 years

C++ (what PHP is built on) has only been out for 27 years  :o Just kidding, good to see use of the good old functions here or there.

thanks both of you...

its working fine  :D

jl5501 yes provide me the code i want to see how to use strftime and have st, nd, rd, th bit..

Thanks Again

http://php.net/manual/en/function.strftime.php

The code will be a mashup of IF statements. Strftime does not include any code to calculate st, nd, rd, th. It's more efficient and the offical function to use date, strftime was meant to format locales not calculate a number suffix.

EDIT: Salathe, no wonder why there are so many bugs ! JK!! :P

Or you could directly retrieve the value in your query the way you want it - http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/date-and-time-functions.html#function_date-format

Zero lines of slow parsed, tokenized, interpreted php code are needed and the slow conversion into and out of a Unix timestamp can be avoided as well.

I take the point about date() vs strftime() but I did do the suffix thing for strftime and this is what I used

$day = strftime("%d",strtotime($orig_date));

if($day == 1 || $day == 21 || $day == 31) $dext = 'st';

else if($day == 2 || $day == 22) $dext = 'nd';

else if($day == 3 || $day == 23) $dext = 'rd';

else $dext = 'th';

$new_date = strftime("%B %e$dext %Y",strtotime($orig_date));

I take the point about date() vs strftime() but I did do the suffix thing for strftime and this is what I used

$day = strftime("%d",strtotime($orig_date));

if($day == 1 || $day == 21 || $day == 31) $dext = 'st';

else if($day == 2 || $day == 22) $dext = 'nd';

else if($day == 3 || $day == 23) $dext = 'rd';

else $dext = 'th';

$new_date = strftime("%B %e$dext %Y",strtotime($orig_date));

Yeah, the core does do pretty much the same thing anyway with date()'s parsing. Suppose ease over flexability.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.