Most efficent way to search using a certain word

CountryGirl

With the search I'm working on, I need people to be able to search by several things - Account, Name, etc. Right now this is what I have for that:

WHERE asmnt_parcel.Account = '{$search}' OR asmnt_parcel.OwnersName = '{$search}' OR asmnt_parcel.ParcelID = '{$search}' OR asmnt_legal.Legal = '{$search}' OR appr_miscimpr.Account = '{$search}'

I have to tie in several more tables, because not all of the account numbers are in asmnt_parcel.Account. Some are in other tables. So, if someone tries to search by an account number that's not in asmnt_parcel or appr_miscimpr, they won't pull anything up.

So, my question is, what is the most efficient way to let someone search by certain things? Should I just list all the table names & rows that will need to be able to be searched, like I've done with several above? There seems like there should be a simpler, more refined way to do this.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions!

Qadoshyah

Okay, I'm looking up fulltext searching and I have some questions. I'm look at a tutorial online.

This is one of the code examples given:

"SELECT *,

MATCH(title, body) AGAINST('$keyword') AS score

FROM articles

WHERE MATCH(title, body) AGAINST('$keyword') "

I have multiple tables that I've joined into my search. Do I need to put the MATCH or WHERE MATCH statements at the end of every table I have joined in?

Is there a code/clause I can put in that is like a wildcard or something where whatever the person searches will return? Is that kind of what $keyword is? And the (title, body) are the tables it is selecting from?

Excuse any dumb questions, this is all new to me and I'm trying to understand this right!

Qadoshyah

Now

You need to make a single fulltext index with all the columns you want to incloude.

I really don't think that can be done with what I have to work with. To put every field that I need from all 9 tables into one table??? Is that what you're saying I could do?

Qadoshyah