'like' button

dachshund

hi,

i'm looking to introduce a 'like article' option on my site. much like youtube's thumbs up or facebook's 'like' option.

does anyone know how i can make it so each user can only 'like' once? there's no log in, so anyone is able to like. i guess it would involve remembering their ip address? ideally i would like it so a column called LIKE in my database just increases it's number by 1 for that article id when the button is clicked.

hope that all made sense?

thanks for any help in advance.

You will need to make a second table called active_sessions for the following to work, with two columns (ip, date). Next place your query to update the table that you want to affect where my last comment is:

<?php
$days = '10';
$ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']; # Get Users IP address
# Delete users from the table if time is greater than $days
mysql_query("DELETE FROM `active_sessions` WHERE `date` < DATE_SUB(NOW(),INTERVAL $days DAY)")or die(mysql_error()); 

# Check to see if the current ip is in the table
$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM active_sessions WHERE ip='$ip'");
$row = mysql_fetch_array($sql);
# If the ip isn't in the table add it.
if(!$row){
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `active_sessions` (`ip`, `date`) VALUES ('$ip'', NOW()) ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE `date` = NOW()")or die(mysql_error());
// add your query to add one to the other table
}
?>

ok cool.

so i have

<?

$days = '10';
$ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']; # Get Users IP address
# Delete users from the table if time is greater than $days
mysql_query("DELETE FROM `active_sessions` WHERE `date` < DATE_SUB(NOW(),INTERVAL $days DAY)")or die(mysql_error()); 

# Check to see if the current ip is in the table
$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM active_sessions WHERE ip='$ip'");
$row = mysql_fetch_array($sql);
# If the ip isn't in the table add it.
if(!$row){
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `active_sessions` (`ip`, `date`) VALUES ('$ip',' NOW()) ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE `date` = NOW()")or die(mysql_error());
// add your query to add one to the other table

$id=mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['id']);
$sql_update = "UPDATE content SET likes=likes+1 WHERE id='$id'";
mysql_query($sql_update) or die (mysql_error());
}
?>

but it's saying "You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE `date` = NOW()' at line 1"

Ops, I have an extra quote

This:

mysql_query("INSERT INTO `active_sessions` (`ip`, `date`) VALUES ('$ip',' NOW()) ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE `date` = NOW()")or die(mysql_error());

should be this:

mysql_query("INSERT INTO `active_sessions` (`ip`, `date`) VALUES ('$ip', NOW()) ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE `date` = NOW()")or die(mysql_error());

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.