Good in IE, bad in Firefox. Also XHTML vs. HTML

jspodisus

Howdy everyone!

I'm a noob here and I'm at my wits end. The real problem here is that I know just enough to get myself into trouble, but no concept on how to dig myself out of it. The website I'm working on is here:

http://www.psychological-warfare.com

My problem is that it looks OK in Explorer, but looks like a trainwreck in Firefox. It was designed by retrofitting a template I bought years ago, so it's like trying to decipher the amatuer translation of a Russian mad scientist's codex. I apologize in advance.

I've been moving DIV's back and forth for days and Explorer doesn't seem to care. Things just keep getting worse and worse in Firefox.

I think the main issue is that I have a left column and then the header that spans the middle and right columns. I can see how Firefox might hate that...

The next problem (and I'm hoping someone might have an idea on this): I used a modern header calling this whole mess XHTML. I know exactly squat about the differences between HTML and XHTML except that XHTML loves to have everything "/>"ed.

Would all of this work if the header called it transitional HTML and give myself a little leeway? What code should be at the top of my page?

Thanks everyone for the help. I wish I could buy everyone a beer!

Would all of this work if the header called it transitional HTML and give myself a little leeway? What code should be at the top of my page?

In the end: It doesn't matter. Firefox has Quirks mode, along with many other browsers, including IE. Upon testing your site on latest Chrome, Firefox 2.3 and 3.5 it looks fine to me, what version of firefox are you using exactly?

You are using absolute positions in CSS, I'd recommend changing them to float:left/right respectively, I'm just not sure what you mean by it being messed up.

Ya, it's all messed up.

The best way to get cross-browser compliance is to use a strict doctype (better than transitional), and design in either firefox, Opera, or Safari. Then adjust your site afterwards for IE. IE is the oddball amongst browsers as it is non-standards compliant, while all the other major browsers are standards compliant.

You should also make sure you have no errors in your HTML markup. You can check this on the w3c site. For every error in your code, the likelihood of having cross-browser issues increases.

Ya, it's all messed up.

The best way to get cross-browser compliance is to use a strict doctype (better than transitional), and design in either firefox, Opera, or Safari. Then adjust your site afterwards for IE. IE is the oddball amongst browsers as it is non-standards compliant, while all the other major browsers are standards compliant.

yha its logical thing that i never think.thanks

You should also make sure you have no errors in your HTML markup. You can check this on the w3c site. For every error in your code, the likelihood of having cross-browser issues increases.

i have checked. all is fine there.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.