Slow MySQL dump

wmguk

Hi,

I am trying to move servers, I have a Vbulletin site with over 10,000 clients, and several hundred thousand posts - I've logged in and dumped my SQL from the old server (511MB) but it times out uploading the dump to my new server...

is there a better way to do this?

It will depend on your server and accessibility. Do you have SSH access? If you have a shared server I would suggest you contact your host to ask them to do this correctly

I do have SSH - its a VPS but its not monitored so I dont have a support package

I assume you know how to transfer file to your server. To load sql into mysql database run this from shell prompt

mysql databaseName < path/to/dump/mysqlDumpFile.sql

Oh excellent, I can just ftp to my webspace then go direct in :) excellent thank you

Ditto what Mchl wrote.  Also if you want to actually pass the password on the command line prompt you have to use --password.  The -p will interactively prompt you for a password which is actually better, because if anyone on the server runs ps or top, they would see the password in the process list.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.