Upload script timeout question.

justAnoob

I have an upload script which I can upload videos to my server. When I do a test upload, with a file size of 16mb, at about the 1 minute 40 second mark, i get the "Internal Error 500" message. From what I have read, my server is not giving me enough time to allow the script to finish. I have tried this in my script

<?php
set_time_limit(300); //this should be 3 minutes, right?
?>

but it has no affect on keeping the script running. I think the script knows to keep running but the server is saying no. There has to be a way to allow the script to complete. Does anyone have a solution?

one rep told me to get a copy of the php5.ini file and upload to my directory. of course changing the script timeout first. but he said he did not know if it would work. anyone know where to get this info at? I'll keep this thread open for a bit to see if someone chimes in with any personal experiences.

Now I am in desperate need of help. I uploaded a file called php5.ini to my root directory on my server which contained

max_execution_time = 600

max_input_time = 600

post_max_size = 30M

upload_max_filesize = 30M

then i checked phpinfo. and the change was made. but now i can't conect to mysql. which did not make sense to me. so I called godaddy and they said that since I uploaded a new php5.ini file,  the file needs to be a complete php5.ini file with every possible variable inside of it. None of my sites work because they all connect to mysql. Does anyone know where to get a factory set php5.ini file or does anyone know how to fix my problem?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.