** MySQL UPDATE and WHERE clause help! **

bford21

Hey guys! I am new to the forums and am looking for some help. First off I am using 000webhost.com as a host and it is running PHP 5.2. and MySQL 5.0.81-community.

I am fairly new to PHP and completely new to MySQL. I am self taught and normally can figure things out myself but I am really puzzled on this one.

I am in the process of creating a text based game. The problem comes when I have the user go to "the mines" and "mine" for gold. Right now I have it set so every time they mine they get 100 gold. I want the users gold to go up by 100 obviously and I want it reflected in both my database and the members profile.

I assume to do this I would use the MySQL UPDATE function. This is what I have been doing but I cant seem to figure out how to get only that users gold to go up. I did some research and found out about the WHERE clause and have tried to use it to identify the user but I cant seem to work it out.

This is what I have so far:

I connect to the the MySQL server, and select the database then I wrote this line of code:

$temp_gold = $_SESSION['MEMBER_GOLD'] + 100;

$result = mysql_query("UPDATE members SET gold= $temp_gold WHERE member_id = ’{$_SESSION['MEMBER_ID']}'");

$_SESSION['MEMBER_GOLD'] is the members gold when the user first logged in and $_SESSION['MEMBER_ID'] is the users ID.

To me the statement makes perfect sense. Update the table "members" and set "gold" equal to "$temp_gold" which is the gold before + 100. Obviously this is wrong though and I would really appreciate your guys help! Thanks in advance.

Hey guys thanks for your help. The problem ended up being that strange ' char. I think I copied and pasted that code from somewhere so I didn't write it myself.

Sorry about now being so descriptive. I'm sure I'll have more questions to ask in the upcoming days. Thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.