Connecting to local host externaly

thebigman

I wonder if someone can help.

I am trying to connect to my localhost host from my other database hosting company.  My localhost is in cpanel.

I am trying to connect using iivision power board.  I have tried a few thing but i'm not a the level yet to fully understand what to do.

If someone could explain in a simple way how to go about it it would be great thanks. :confused:

Thanks again

"localhost" referes to LOCAL host

if you want to contact another database/system, than you need to know the name of that system.

Computer normally identify the system you are working on as "localhost", and give it the ip-address "127.0.0.1"

So, if you try to go to "127.0.0.1" you always see "localhost".

This is done through a system called DNS.

To make contact to another system than localhost, you need to know its name, or its ip-address

Please try to explain your problem without the word 'localhost'.

Its very unclear to /me what system you are referring to when you are talking about 'localhost'

Try to call your system at home something like: testserver

And the system at your provider something like: productionserver

If you have a database server on hostA and a site on hostB that needs to connect to it, you need to configure the database server on hostA to allow connections from hostB, then configure hostB to connect to hostA.

Localhost and 127.0.0.1 only ever refer to the machine the servers are running on. Its like home or self.

Its a bit like me. From where I stand me means myself, but from your point of view me refers to you.

OK i have a forum on server a and a forum on server b both the same forums but i am trying to import from a to b

server a has the localhost  :confused:

Sorry so how does that go then

arghhhh

Ive already explained what you need to do. What part don't you understand?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.