Sorting an array

simonp

Hi,

I have an array such as:

$array['name']
$array['gender']
$array['sex']

... and I want to sort the output by the sex field

If I use sort($array) it sorts by the name field.

If I use sort($array['sex']) I get an errror:

Warning: sort() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /home

Any ideas?

Cheers

Simon

Would need to see your assignment code, but clearly, $array['sex'] is not an array, so you probably have more issues than trying to get a sort.  With that said, arsort is probably something that could help you, but given your current structure.  Understanding more about your application would be helpful in suggesting whether you're heading down a dead end.

Sorry gizmola - I was trying to simplify things and probably made them more complicated ;)

Here's the code I'm working with:

$json = '[{"domain":"testdomain","tld":".net","result":"Taken"},{"domain":"testdomain","tld":".com","result":"Taken"},{"domain":"testdomain","tld":".mobi","result":"Taken"},{"domain":"testdomain","tld":".biz","result":"Taken"},{"domain":"testdomain","tld":".info","result":"Taken"}]';

$data = json_decode($json, TRUE);

foreach ($data as $domain) {

echo $domain['domain'] . $domain['tld'] . ' is ' . $domain['result'] . '<br>';

}

What I want to do is sort the results by the $domain['result'] (ie have the Available's first then the Taken's

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Simon

Hi,

I have an array such as:

$array['name']
$array['gender']
$array['sex']

... and I want to sort the output by the sex field

If I use sort($array) it sorts by the name field.

If I use sort($array['sex']) I get an errror:

Warning: sort() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /home

Any ideas?

Cheers

Simon

You can't sort this type of array. Basically only PHP can use this kind of specification. $array['name'], in other programs it's not posible. You must have an integer index. It would work, otherwise you must make a function to sort array.(booble sort :P)

Sorry gizmola - I was trying to simplify things and probably made them more complicated ;)

Here's the code I'm working with:

$json = '[{"domain":"testdomain","tld":".net","result":"Taken"},{"domain":"testdomain","tld":".com","result":"Taken"},{"domain":"testdomain","tld":".mobi","result":"Taken"},{"domain":"testdomain","tld":".biz","result":"Taken"},{"domain":"testdomain","tld":".info","result":"Taken"}]';

$data = json_decode($json, TRUE);

foreach ($data as $domain) {

echo $domain['domain'] . $domain['tld'] . ' is ' . $domain['result'] . '<br>';

}

What I want to do is sort the results by the $domain['result'] (ie have the Available's first then the Taken's

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Simon

Is it *really* not possible to do this sort?!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.