Apache server going down

brianlange

I have a server that I use for our searching through a 300 megabyte text index.  On this server apache goes down about every other day for no apparent reason. There's nothing unusual in the error files. When I restart apache everything works fine. When a search is performed it can take 20-30 seconds to return a result. Could this long of process cause apache to crash? There's not a lot of searches being performed so while each process can be intensive the server is not under very heavy load. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to go about trouble shooting this issue.

I'd say you would want to setup some sort of server monitoring.

I don't know if your on linux or windows. Anyways:

Use Monit to monitor services such as apache, and it can restart apache if it stops responding

I'd recommend to use Munin to monitor the health of the server including memory and bwidth, processes etc.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.