mod_rewrite rules file location ?

eekeek

I understand mod_rewrite rules can go in the .htaccess file, but where else can you put them? One of the apache2 config files?

My setup is a Xubuntu 9.10 apache2 server and I'm pretty sure that 'RewriteMap' does not work in .htaccess.

I know I have a lot to learn still, but ultimately I'm trying to achieve case insensitive urls.

thanks thorpe! Your post pointed me in the right direction. :)

I found and used this tutorial to get virtual hosts up and working - http://www.kandar.info/index.php/linux/create-apache-namebase-virtualhost-on-ubuntu

I put some rewrite rules in the virtual host file for the appropriate domain under sites-enabled and was able to do a simple redirect.

However, then I tried to drop in some code that makes urls case insensitive. After saving the file and upon 'sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reload' I received a syntax error message that 'RewriteMap not allowed here...Fail!'

So, I suppose the obvious question now is if 'RewriteMap' is required for case insensitive urls, where do I put this code?

Got it! - I know I'm still very ignorant about the ins and outs of apache. Thanks again for your comments thorpe.

I moved my code from inside the <Directory> tags to just inside the <VirtualHost> tags and it worked.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.